go diego go

go diego go
he's my inspiration and this picture is goofy

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

my relationship with media

   as someone who was born a 4 years before the first iPhone release, i think it's safe to say i am kind of in the middle when it comes to my use of media.  i'm pretty sure spent my whole infant hood screen-free. this may sound obvious, but i was babysitting a family friend's 2 year old and all he was saying was "iPhone". the media i got as a kid was mostly vhs tapes of barney and illegally burned cd's of strawberry shortcake and max and ruby. but more importantly, i read a lot (go me). i got my first personal device when i was like in late elementary school (maybe 5th grade...i'm not sure). it was a kindle but i didn't use it for reading... my parents just didn't want to spend hundreds on an iPad. this is when i discovered youtube, but all i remember watching were toy unboxings haha. after a few years of having a kindle and soon to be elementary school graduate, in comes my first phone, the pastel yellow iPhone 5c with my gray and turquoise case. before my phone, i emailed. now looking back, emailing is so much better when it comes to not getting distracted. but texting is easier to reach someone faster.

   it's crazy to think that i only had had a phone for 3 years and how fast i have grown to be dependent on it. i spent 12 out of 15 years without a phone and now i can't even leave my room without it? now that's kinda sad. the invention of the smartphone has changed practically every aspect of my life. i remember being in elementary school waking up and getting the newspaper and flipping to the weather section to decide what i'll wear. now, while i'm still in bed, grab my phone (less then an arm's reach away), and click the weather app to check. also, who needs a camera anymore when you can just use ur iPhone x portrait mode double lens camera? nowadays, it almost seems like our smartphones are literally taking over everything we do.

   the internet and social media... i have a love/hate relationship with them. the internet has made it easier for people to be more educated because its diversity in information. with the internet comes social media platforms, the ones i use include pinterest, instagram, youtube, and snapchat. pinterest was the first social media platform i got, and is still is my favorite for one reason: the lack of societal pressure and competition. instagram, on the other hand, is arguably THE MOST TOXIC PLATFORM out there (if you don't agree, please share why). it's so demanding and the conscious or subconscious follower/like count competition is dangerous. i feel like after getting instagram and snapchat is when i felt most self-conscious about myself. especially with the snapchat filters that slimmed your face, cleared your acne, made your eyes big and blue, and added lush eyelashes.

   overall, i think media has gotten so competitive, there's no avoiding negativity at this point, but it is still very important to use media to be aware of current events and learn from other peoples' stories/experiences.
expectation vs reality

2 comments:

  1. I definitely do agree with the idea that competition quickly drains your self confidence over social media. One of the most toxic parts of social media is definitely the numbers aspect, and it leads people to quickly spread negative energy. I'm not sure how to measure which site is the most toxic but I would agree that competition drives the ugliness out of a lot of people and that ultimately hurts the confidence of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the point you made about how dependent everyone is on their phones. I think that it is sad how we worry when we cannot feel our phone in the back of our pockets. We have grown towards phones, and implemented them into our life in such a short amount of time because they are useful to making our lives easier, like you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete