go diego go

go diego go
he's my inspiration and this picture is goofy

Sunday, May 12, 2019

"ugh this would look so good on you"

"ok u DEFS need this in ur life" "DON'T REGRET IT" "GEDDIT SIS" "you're totally worth this" "SPEND MORE SAVE MORE"

those are just a few of hundreds of email subject titles i see from forever 21, a popular clothing company for teens and young adults. i literally tried unsubscribing from their mailing list multiple times and it doesn't work...its a trap. i have noticed that stores have been "trying to save the environment" lately so to save paper, they've been asking for customers' emails to "email the receipt". yeah hollister emailed me my receipt from a year ago and those emails never stopped. emailing is one of the new and upcoming most annoying advertising technique. not only does it flood my inbox, it also distracts me from what i was actually trying to do.

forever 21 is treating me as if i am their friend to convince me to open their emails to see what would look good on me or what i DEFS need in my life or what something i don't want to regret. they want their customers to think "oh, forever 21 is my friend. i can trust them, they know what i like". most importantly, it attracts my attention. i never really payed attention to their emails but "ugh this would look so good on you" really caught my eye because it was a straight up compliment that was sent to their whole email list, implying that their clothing would look good on anyone.

urban outfitters is another company that sends their emails to me, but they never catch my attention because they all are "FLASH SALE" "HURRY: 30% off..." "LAST CHANCE: 20% off..". my brain has practically traded itself to ignore and scroll thru those emails because i know there's no hurry, it's not my last chance, and that urban outfitters has a flash sale almost every week. this use of time pressure technique has gotten old as people have started to notice that sales come and go. i think the next email technique would be sweet talking the consumer.


3 comments:

  1. I agree that the emails from these big stores are just annoying now. I feel that I also have built a tolerance to not click on these emails that have these lines. I think that these lines only work for new customers or people who just started getting emails from these stores, but after a little, they just start to become annoying and it’s more annoying to have to delete them everyday. They try to create absence of urgency, but they have to find another way now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with this. My brain has trained itself to immediately ignore those emails. I think it would work better if they sent them less often because then it would catch my attention more and I'd probably actually read it. It's also weird that they're talking to you like they're your friend or a living entity. That's a Black Mirror tease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, it's really Ashley Jun because her blog comments don't work. "This topic is relatable on so many different levels that don’t necessarily have to be directly connecting to Forever 21. Only recently, I also began noticing how many spam emails these companies send just to make sure that they keep tabs on your activity as a consumer. I don’t even have to buy one of their products on a routine basis for my email to reach 125 by the time school ends on one day. The overall progression of your argument was effectively conveyed because while you had to discuss the use of techniques and needs, you also presented how easy it is for consumers to be trapped into a loop of “getting receipted emailed.” I also found it to be very funny with how you used the flash words in your explanations to flip their intended meaning."

    ReplyDelete